The sea is a beguiling place.
“An RYA Yachtmaster™ needs a wealth of knowledge, not only to cope with plain sailing or motor cruising but also to be able to cope in demanding situations.” Royal Yachting Association
The course is a combination of a preparation course for your RYA Yachtmaster exam and the official exam itself. It starts with a training of the required skills under the lead of a skipper CCS who is also a certified RYA Yachtmaster Instructor and ends with the official exam under the lead and observation of a RYA-Examiner. The course takes place onboard a CCS sailship in the Solent (GBR).
Candidates will be trained with the aim to demonstrate knowledge or competence in a complete leadership on a cruising yacht. They should be able to lead a crew and a cruising yacht safely, also in very demanding situations.
In addition to the RYA Coastal Skipper, the following contents will be instructed:
- Deep knowledge in International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- Safety equipment based on the RYA Safety Handbook and ISAF Special Regulations
- Boat handling in complex situations
- General seamanship, including maintenance
- Responsibilities of skipper (communication, delegation, tactics, emergency, etc.)
- Comprehensive knowledge in navigation and meteorology
- 2500 miles (at least 50% in tidal waters)
- 50 days at sea (5 days experience as skipper)
- 5 passages over 60 miles (2 as skipper, 2 with overnight sailing)
- A GMDSS Short Range Certificate or higher grade of marine radio certificate
- A RYA accepted valid First Aid Certificate
- Minimum age: 18
The CCS-RYA Shorebased Course is highly recommended, but not mandatory.
A passage should be non-stop by the shortest navigable route with no change of skipper. All qualifying sea time must be within 10 years prior to the exam.
Practical exam, onboard the CCS sailship, under the lead and observation of a RYA-Examiner
The exam will include an assessment of your skippering skills, boat handling, general seamanship, navigation, safety awareness and knowledge of the IRPCS, meteorology and signals.
RYA Exam fee: GBP 210.00 (effective july 2017)
Successful candidates will obtain the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Certificate Offshore Sail and can get a commercial endorsement.